Saturday, September 17, 2011

Shock the World


I may have mentioned to some of you that right before I left for Iraq, ye olde state department called an audible on me.  They decided that since they were losing the military contracts who ran the television studio, that I would be the best available option to take over.

Never mind that I have never worked in a television studio.
Never mind that I am not a "technically" minded person.
Never mind that I will be responsible for creating live feeds for outlets such as FOX, CNN or CBS should they want a live interview with the Ambassador or General over here....and that it would be in real time....and that I would be SOLO.  That means no one to ask wtf(ace) is going on when it doesn't work. 

I'm not complaining.  It just seems like these are things they may have considered.

Yes, so never mind all that, I have happily accepted the challenge.  With great trepidation.  And some excitement at learning a new thing.  But mostly, at this juncture- trepidation.

Friday I was starting to feel some semblance of peace about it all after meeting the military guys who will be training me.  I started to recognize that many of the shoots themselves would be pretty basic and straightforward.  However.  That peace disappeared today when I showed up to watch them record the General doing an interview with a local media outlet. 

As we were setting up, my buddy Buenavista (Sargent B to you) started walking me through the trillions of tiny buttons on the switchboards, decks, satellites, etc.. and saying things like...(no joke, these are real):
"You want to start with this button to avoid a...black burst"
"If you have a problem, CNN may ask you to peep the bird"
"Last time we worked with FOX they got really mad about our polarity problem."

Are you KIDDING me??  I have no idea what a black burst, peeping the bird and/or polarity is.  At ALL.  I was struggling just learning the new acronyms State and the Military were throwing around and now I have a third language that makes no sense. 

It's fine though.  I'm writing down every crazy thing they say, and the first time CNN calls I will cut them off at the pass before they can say a word with, "Don't worry guys, polarity has never looked better and when I peeped the bird there were no black bursts to be seen."  I imagine they'll be fairly shocked by my media brilliance.  That's a 10-4 good buddies, one way or the other it's time to Shock the World - Quinn(Dewey) style.

Gotta run...there are birds to peep.

8 comments:

  1. I do miss your humor around here so I'm very glad to have this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go with the missionary program of learning a new language on the job... that's what it sounds like you're doing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Delsa. I'm very glad to have this blog AND your good humor. All is well with the world - at least when you're peeping the bird correctly. Good luck - I'll be watching for any inconsistencies with the news broadcasts knowing that you're in charge over there. May the force be with you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you've impressed everyone at CNN, I fully expect you to introduce me to Anderson Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd...I'm pretty sure that the kind of impression I'm going to leave on CNN will leave me me with no possibility of introducing you to A.C. HOWEVER, should a miracle occur, you have my promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is...YIKES!!!!! What a deal you got handed. But...the Lord never gives us anything we can't handle. If anyone can do this, you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless you, Shauri, for posting so regularly. You new life is the best novel I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you can teach me how to jump, you can surely learn to run a broadcast studio! Oops, nevermind, I never really got that high off the ground. I'm sure you can do it, Shauri!

    ReplyDelete