Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Little Exposed

Lisa, you may as well cover your face now and say, "I'm so uncomfortable!"  This is about to get personal - remember that I warned you in advance. 

As most of you know, Baghdad is a NO CHILDREN tour.  This means actual children, not just people who may act like them.  Trust me.



Most of you also know that James and I have been married less than a year.

Based on this information, you should be able to make two credible leaps.  Leaps which are obvious, but for some reason you aren't supposed to say out loud (of course when has this stopped me?):
1. James and I are still on our honeymoon, which means that unlike a lot of you we are still having s-e-x.
2. James and I use protection.  Otherwise if I got knocked up, I'd be leaving on a jet plane - asap.

You probably can't make this leap, so I'll tell you the next important fact:  our choice of protection is condoms.  I'm not a fan of all the jacked up emotions I get from the other "safety" options available.  And obviously, I want the extra protection so that I don't get any of the diseases James may be carrying from his wild and promiscuous pre-Shauri days.  (ha, ha, and ha.)

I know many of you are DYING (Lisa, Delsa, Teresa) reading this right now.  Others have already made the mental jump ahead to the punchline. So... here comes the really personal part.  (That's right, the fact that we are having sex and using condoms is NOT personal.)

A couple nights ago James and I were... you know.  When you know was over, James seemed confused and was sort of groping around himself in the dark.  "Around" is an important and accurate word in that sentence.  Then he said the three words that every girl longs to hear.......... "Where's the condom?"

At first I thought he was speaking Arabic, because, um, WHAT?...no comprendo.  Then I got scared, cause I didn't even know if I wanted to get pregant, but I DID know I didn't want to get kicked out of Iraq.
Turns out....it was next to him.  Next. To. Him.  Now, I'm not sure how one wouldn't KNOW it was off, I mean I'm not a man, but it seems kind of like you might notice.  I don't know guys, would you?

Anyway, neither here nor there.  The point is we both just looked at each other, and James started to look really nervous.  And then we laughed.  You know, the kind where you keep casting sidelong glances at the other person to make sure they are laughing too.  And then we stopped.  And then we started again.

Ok, what are the facts here?  Frankly, it would take a miracle for a lady of my esteemed age to get pregnant at all.  I mean how many people who are young and healthy even get pregnant, let alone off of ONE mistake??  But still....the shadow of a doubt has been cast.  The die has been rolled. 

Perhaps the adoption/birth decision will be made for us after all.  I guess at least we'll know it was meant to be.

I'll let you know.  But not for several months after I find out, because HELLO.... I'm not planning to get shipped out quite so fast.  Shhhh....

Have any of you ever rolled the destiny dice with no intention of doing so?  It's quite a ride.

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHA. I'm so telling Mark about this when he gets back from the gym. And James probably gave you gonnoherpasyphilAIDS (a disease a friend came up with for a futuristic sci-fi roleplaying campaign). Maybe you'll have an Election Day baby. ;) You can come to Austin after you get kicked out of Iraq. I'm sure it would be your first choice over Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baby would indeed be a miracle, probability aside. I love your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love you Shauri. This made my day! ha haa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously? No punch line? You just wanted us to know this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I just started reading this entry, my teenager came right up behind me and started following along. Trying not do look like I was reading a raunchy "romance" novel, I tried to shoo her away, but she was hooked. Trying to embarrass her I said to Paul, "Siena is trying to read about Shauri's sex life." To which he replied, "Oh, I want to know too!" Well, I guess you knew this was going public when you typed it up. Good luck with whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete