Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Grateful for Chocolate

In the continuing spirit of emotion and gratitude, I'd like to share a story from an awards ceremony we held yesterday.

In the embassy here we have a unique partnership with the military.  Often State Department and Department of Defense (and any govenrment agency) are at odds.  Here the Commanding General and the Ambassador have a spirit of cooperation that trickles down through all of the embassy.  That spirit of partnership is found in the T.V. studio where I work with the military public affairs team closely.  Particularly with my trainer Seargent Buenavista.  First, a little context.

General Buchannan, who is the spokesperson for the military here, agreed to let Seargent Buenavista extend for 3 months to teach me how to run the televison studio.  Sgt. B has gone above and beyond in doing that.  He has been an invaluable resource.

Originally from the Phillipines, he came to the U.S. as a kid, got his citizenship and at 18 joined the reserve forces of the military.  He has served in Iraq for 3 separate tours. 

Sgt. B has the most amazing attitude.  He is always smiling, he says yes to solving every and any problem and he has had infinite patience in teaching a novice like me the ropes.  He made a challenging and at times painful process positive and pleasant.  He is the kind of person who literally is lit from within - the kind of person you want to photograph or see on film because of that light.

Yesterday the State Department had an awards ceremony to thank the J-9 team (military public affairs headed up by Gen Buchannan) for all they did to help Public Affairs - my group.  They gave certificates to the whole team, but they ordered a special merit award for Sgt. B to thank him for his over the top commitment and service.

There were two moments during this event that especially touched me.  The first was when they gave General Buchannan his certificate.  He said a few words and talked about how important our partnership has been.  He mentioned how uncommoon it is for the military and the DoS to work together so well.  He expressed gratitude for it, and I felt my heart fill with gratitude too.  This is the point where my eyes started welling up as I thought about all of them leaving.  Largely because I would miss them and because for the first time I've seen the military up close and have truly gained an appreciation for the service and sacrifice they render.  However when I was caught crying, I said that it was because the military was leaving me here alone to die!

Gen Buchannan also talked about the sacrifice that the DoS employees are making to be here.  Leaving families behind, risking their lives for the main purpose of doing outreach to the communities and helping to re-build them.  Teaching English, creating educational opportunities, etc..  He said that he realized after being here that we deserve the same kind of recognition that they get, but that while the military is easily recognizable in public places like airports and gets thank yous, we don't.  He expressed his simple gratitude to us for our sacrifice and it was touching.

(Ted Koeppel was here a month ago filming, and this excerpt from one of his shoots shows two of the women in our public affairs department.  I think you can see by their experience, exactly the challenges the General mentions.  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/45641261#45648913.  Their segment is towards the end.)

After the General sat down, they presented the special award for Sgt B.  By the time he got up there the tears were just flowing freely (and attracting some attention - I did reign in the loud sobbing noises) as I realized how grateful I was for him and his help and how much I would miss him. 

His words touched me and continued to emphasize for me the gratitude theme I keep bumping in to here - and in this holiday season.   I can't do them justice, or the passion with which he spoke them justice, but I'll try to recap the general meaning of what he said. 

He told us that for him everything started with a bar of chocolate.  That when he was 7 years old in the Phillipines a U.S. soldier reached out to him and offered him a bar of chocolate.  He was so happy for the chocolate and so impressed and touched by the soldier who would have chocolate and give it away that he decided he would one day be a U.S. soldier.  (A lofty dream for a kid who wasn't even a U.S. citizen - and it's no easy feat getting Visas from there!)  He didn't go in to the details of how it happened, but he did express great pride in the fact that he was standing there in a U.S. army uniform and representing a country he loved and was proud to be a part of.  A country that held a dream for him of a better life.  He said it's all about connections and he got quite emotional.  The soldier connected with him and that's all he wanted to do too-- build connections and help others.  He has.

I was overwhelmed by gratitude for his generous spirit, for his positive attitude in facing many life challenges to get where he is today and for HIS gratitude for a country that gave him opportunities - and how he gave back to that country.  Again I am reminded (and someone must really want me to get this!) by how blessed I am.  How important it is to be grateful for what I have and to find ways to give back.  I am inspired by positive people who face trials head on and lift others as they go.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I missed SSG Buenavista get recognized. Truly deserved! Great post Shauri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa--he does deserve it and you were and are missed. Hope life is good and you got a fantastic welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Ted Koeppel's report on tv last night and thought of you. I was wondering if that's your area. When I read your blog I realize that I might need another "out of country" experience to appreciate my country more. However I do feel more grateful when I read about your experiences, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beginning to think these blogs are 'reality therapy for US citizens "-living the dream"'. I've needed a little help understanding the context of my hectic existence. Work steals a piece of our souls and I think we sometimes need to understand it's okay. My HT this month was on gratitude and I'm making a list of 100 things I'm grateful for. It sounded a bit daunting until Eyring listed 10 categories for 10 things each. That really opened the door for me, which was the point.

    Our dishwasher has been broken for a week and a half. Our kids are learning to be grateful for modern conveniences. But, they sure struggle at expressing gratitude over frustration... I think we all do.


    Thanks for touching my heart. It needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Filipino-Americans are the best!

    ReplyDelete