Friday, December 2, 2011

Visits Cloaked in Darkness

This week the embassy got a bit chaotic as we prepared for a super secret visit from Vice President Joe Biden.  We weren't allowed to speak his name until the moment he arrived so there was a really interesting array of code words used to talk about and plan for this visit.  Of course the complete irony of all our secrecy is that the Iraqi press was printing stories the week before he came about his upcoming visit. 

I was assigned the job of "minder" for the NBC crew and Ann Curry.  My favorite line from all of her shoots here was to VP Biden when she asked him about the administration's claim that the country was "normalizing" and when it would be normalized enough that his visits could stop being "cloaked in secrecy and darkness."  Poetic.  And apt for the visit of the VIP who could not be named.

I really enjoyed spending time with the guys crewing NBC, as well as Ann and her producer Zoe.  I think Ann is a clever, high energy, driven, professional and kind person.  What I didn't enjoy so much was the 2:30 am live feeds for Nightline and the set ups that started at 11:30pm in 30 degree weather. 

I did get to stand in for Ann during set up and get a small glimpse of how it would feel to be a reporter for CNN.  I had the IFB in my ear and got to count down with NBC in New York to make sure the timing wasn't too delayed.  I'm pretty sure I counted so well and looked so hot at 2am in my 12 layers of James' clothing, that they were ready to ask me to stay and Ann to go.  Just see that sexy hat and red nose.

To see Ann's version of this shot you can click on this link.  Also, you'll get a glimpse of the DFAC where we eat during her walk and talk.

I think the highlight of the week was meeting Biden.  On  Thursday morning we set up for an interview for the Today Show in the Ambassador's residence.  Ann had 15 minutes with him and I was really impressed with the way he answered/handled her questions.  I was especially touched when he started to cry at the end as he spoke about the fallen soldiers and his son Bo who is in the military and served in Iraq.

See interview here: Today Show Link.

As soon as the interview finished the secret service was rushing everyone out of the residence.  I thought VP Biden was gone as well.  I went in to the living room and chatted with the NBC crew as they packed up.  One of the SS guys came by and I started talking with him in the door to the living room when I saw Biden enter the foyer.  Turns out the VIPs were waiting until the press left in their convoy and then following behind. 

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Biden notice us in the doorway, pass the Ambassador and General Austin, and wander over.  He said hello to Dave and I, and wandered in.  I told him that I was very impressed with his interview and touched.  He commented that he was embarrassed for getting so emotional.  I countered that it was the emotion he showed that most impacted me and allowed me to feel his authenticity.  He seemed to be happy about that and then he spent the next 10 minutes telling me and the 4 guys from the NBC crew stories about soldiers he met in Iraq and Afghanistan and some really touching moments with them. 

At one point he was telling a story about a night hike with some soldiers and to illustrate what happened he grabbed me by the arm and then started pushing me from behind up an imaginary hill.  It took me by surprise, but I did tell him I like to move at my own pace when hiking.

I found him to be engaging, authentic and sincere.  I can see now why the face to face meetings are so important on the campaign trail.  I don't think I would have ever considered voting for Biden himself (and I did vote for the Obama/Biden ticket) but after getting to know him on a more personal level he became a real person to me that I like.  And the interesting thing is, that without knowing anything about his politics (well very little) he became a front runner for me just because I like him. 

After very little sleep for two nights in a row, James found me on the couch at 6pm when he got home from work in a sleep drugged state.  Slurring my words and unable to fully open my eyes.  Yes, I am old....and ready for a long winters nap.

 

1 comment:

  1. That's incredible, Shauri! Who would have ever thought you'd be hanging out with the VP?

    ReplyDelete