Wednesday, November 30, 2011

You Fulfill Me


Two more interesting news tidbits hot off the Iraqi press.

1.  I quote:  "Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki decided to name the last day the U.S. troops will withdraw from Iraq (December 31st) as "Fulfillment day"."
Apparently since we have stuck to our agreement of 2008 and pulled our troops, there is cause for celebration and a naming of days.  Heretofore and forever, this day shall be know as...one of fulfillment.  Thus it shall be called, wait for it, Fulfillment Day!  Hooray!  Brilliant!
I wonder how it will be celebrated?  All drug prescriptions fulfilled for free?  Everyone has to use the word fulfill in all their sentences that day?  Sign new agreements with friends and then... fulfill them?  The possibilities are endless.  One thing I think we can be sure of, it will include celebratory gunfire.
2.  "Asa'eb Ahl al-Haq is launching attacks on U.S. Forces in order to give the false impression it is forcing withdrawal."
Talk about devilishly clever!  Hey guys, I hear the U.S. army is taking off, I bet...and I may be wrong, but I doubt it....I bet, if we shoot at their backs on the way out everyone will think WE did this good thing!  What do you say?  We'll be heroes!  All in favor?
Hm.  Well, I guess the only real problem with this stroke of brilliance is that small FULFILLMENT DAY detail that's on the lips of everyone these days.  You know, that whole agreement we signed and that has been in the news every day.  All that ceaseless news chatter about the U.S. withdrawing to stick to the agreement and the fact that all the plans have been made and troops have been leaving unassisted for months now.  Yeah, there's that little glitch.
But still, I get how a good idea can go awry.  One time I thought it would be really cool and impressive to my friends if I showed a sweet kung fu kick move to close the latched window on my dad's toyota tercel.  Then it shattered and it didn't seems like such a good idea anymore.  Theory, practice - sometimes you have to test it out to know it's wrong.  I get it.
(But seriously.  Come on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment