Sunday, November 27, 2011

Another bomb?... yawn...

Let's talk about the news a bit. 

I realized today that I have become immune to my circumstances.  I was scrolling through my email press clippings about Iraq, looking for a headline that might catch my eye and be of interest.  I suddenly realized I had quickly scrolled through:

"Blast in Baghdad kills 15"
"Three IEDs explode killing 8"
"Detonation leaves several wounded, few killed."

Big news?  Nah.  That stuff happens EVERY DAY.  How jaded is it to scroll past those headlines, happening in the city where I live, as I look for something INTERESTING?

If I was in Ann Arbor scanning the news and I saw "Three IEDs kill 8 in Ann Arbor" I'd be shocked.  I would pause, read, reflect, shed a tear, wonder what the heck was going on and if this was a one-time event or a trend.  Point being, it would be "of interest."

I am saddened to think I (and many, many others) live in a place where murder has become yesterday's news.

3 comments:

  1. How very sad. I pray often for your safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. Hard to become desensitized to such tragic news. On the flip side, I totally know what article you WERE looking for. "Flour found, weevil free." Now THAT'S your kind of news. Been thinking about you often. Let's skype. Love you girl. Please be safe. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny Kris. And I am on skype ALWAYS. If you would ever sign on we could chat. I'm 10 hours ahead of you. Miss you too.

    Diane--i accept all prayers. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete