Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Soul Mates - Get Real.

I am a huge fan of Wired magazine.  HUGE.  If you think it is just for tech geeks, you're wrong.  It's for people who love creativity.

In their November issue there was an article featuring the Muppets called, "The scientific way to..."   It has all these interesting facts backed by science.  Like how to get ink out of clothes. 

One struck me as extremely interesting and relevant.  Especially to those of us who married, let's say..later in life.  It's called The scientific way to find a soul mate.  Catch your interest?  Thought so.

Here's the basic facts:

-  There is a probabilistic approach to finding the love of your life called: satisfacing.  Satisfy, suffice, get it?  Basically it means getting a good enough outcome when you're lacking complete information about your options.

-  People who aren't in a committed relationship always come to this fork in the road, "Do I keep looking for something better or stick with what seems pretty good?"

-  The solution they suggest is to date ENOUGH people to set some baseline standards of what works, and then settle down with the next person who exceeds the bar. 

- A baseline should be acheived after dating 12 people.  It was named (and I like this) the "Twelve-Bonk Theory".  Scientific, no? (also applied to home buying and hiring)

- Bottom line: If you've dated less than 12 people feel free to keep looking.  If you have dated more you are probably too picky.  Their words?  "Stop obsessing over your new paramour's dorky laugh."

I think this is fascinating.  When I look back at my looooooonnnnng history of dating, I recognize hitting that fork in the road in every relationship.  Should I stay or should I go?

I even remember at moments of commitment to James (should we be exclusive? engaged?) thinking---is this really it?  Is there something more I should wait for? 
Why was I thinking that?  He was amazing.  And I was in love with him.  And it should be noted, I am thrilled I committed and my hesitation had nothing to do with how great he is.  And it should also be noted that I am not some crown jewel who has any right to be so particular.  Yes, I had a problem with commitment. 

It's classic Seinfeld.  "Oh, she has man-hands."  You know you did it or you're doing it still.  Finding the flaws, waiting for perfection, thinking you will probably end up with Steve Young if you wait.  No, I didn't, maybe, think that when I was in my 20's. 

All I'm saying is, this is some good advice.  Easy for me to say NOW because I took the plunge.  So, I'm curious what those of you who did settle down, and those of you who are still dating and wondering if you're too picky think....should you satisface?   Should you marry the next person who meets your expectations even if you have doubts?
whatcha think?

3 comments:

  1. well... i'm finding in my loooooong dating "experiment" that the trick is finding someone interested in satisficing at the same moment you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I'm more interested in how to get ink out of clothes. Does it also say how to get ink out of leather? Help your Mom out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word up Wallace. I think the longer we wait, the fewer satisfacers are available. :)

    Mom...disappointed in you. Really, you find ink removal more interesting than relationships? Come on. Clean it up.

    ReplyDelete