Monday, December 5, 2011

GOP: When did Thinking go out of Fashion?

One of our chief forms of entertainment over here in Iraq has been watching the circus otherwise known as
the GOP.  Our biggest regret:  The debates are too late for us to watch.  Our biggest thrill:  SNL recaps on them.

My personal favorite was clearly the SNL take on Perry's "oops" moment.  Wow.  And it has certainly been a toss up for the last several months over who is going to say THE dumbest thing on TV or to the press today: Cain or Perry?  It's so delicious - a bigger guilty pleasure than People and US Weekly combined.   My greatest wish was that Sarah Pallin would be in the race so that Tina Fey would return.

(bonus: Link to John Stewart's take on the oops moment.)

In all the entertainment and spectacle, there is a nagging concern.  Yes, one thing troubles me.  The fact that GOP voters would find any, and I mean any acceptable candidate over Romney.  I understand why - people can't connect to him emotionally.  He is stiff and cool and lacks any appearance of human warmth.  It's hard to rally around a person with low to zero charisma.  I also understand that some in the religious right would rather vote for Hitler than a Mormon.  Fine.  But when you look at the opposition, isn't that rather shocking?

Two points that bother me:

1.  Cain was kicked out of the race for being a POSSIBLE (probable) adulterer and sexual harasser.  I think the guy is an idiot and am just as happy he's gone (except for the future SNL shows he's ruining for me) but I find it ironic that he is being kicked out on moral grounds and so the front runner becomes Gingrich.  A moral black hole.  Several affairs and wives later we find our moral compass and replacement for Cain.  Does anyone else see irony?
Note of interest: Romney is a family man, one wife, no tawdry affairs, generally moral and upstanding, but rejected.

Leading to point number 2.

2.  Romney flip flops.  Pause.  Think.
AND GINGRICH DOESN'T??  I don't care if you vote for Romney, Gingrich, or Obama, but please use some logic.  You can't put one candidate over another when he does the same thing.  Vote for Ron Paul if this is your argument, he doesn't flip flop, and while he also is largely not Republican at least I would get the logic in your choice.  Use your noggins GOP.  For the love.

And another thought on flip-flopping...so what?  Who CARES?  Every politician has changed his or her mind at some point.  Every HUMAN has changed their mind.  And in the case of Romney, here's how I see it:  He voted liberal when he represented liberals in a liberal state.  He is now voting conservative and looking to represent conservatives in the nation.  Isn't that his J.O.B.?  To not vote for his own opinion, but for that of We the People who he represents?  Shouldn't we be grateful he is open and flexible and will represent the voters who elect him? 
(And fyi:  Obama is like this and crosses lines and it's why I voted for him in the last election.)

One more thought.  Isn't this election about our failed economy?  Really, isn't it?  Hm.

Excuse the rant, but please.  I'm not political, but I am annoyed by stupidity.
God gave us our brains, shouldn't we use 'em?  If you can make a good case for any other candidate and why they are better, I'm all ears.  Not why Romney is worse, mind you, why THEY are better.  Because this campaign seems to be all about why people can't pick Romney instead of focusing on why they are picking anyone else.  And close scrutiny on any candidate other than him has only lead to one implosion after another.  

I don't care if you vote Democrat or Republican,  but I do care that you pick a GOP candidate that makes any sense at all.  Just try to stop making Republicans look so bad.  I don't want to be embarrassed if
I decide to vote that way.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, we just had this discussion last night! And, we love reading your blog, it has become our nightly talk at dinner "what did Shauri say today?" We are always laughing. But, you stated it well today, one day the GOP might pull their act together.

    ReplyDelete