Friday, September 23, 2011

Duck & Cover Take 2

3:45 am.

Sound asleep.

Suddenly a wailing siren and the words, "You must take cover..." are blaring into my consciousness, jolting me awake.  I have finally found a way to be awoken that is even less pleasant than my dad's trick when I was in high school of turning the light on at 6am and dragging all the covers off the bed until I woke up. 

Imagine you are sound asleep and suddenly someone is standing with a megaphone right next to the side of your bed screaming "Get out of bed or die!!"  Accompanied by a fire engine like siren.  That's what it felt like.

James and I lept from bed, and bleary-eyed and half conscious, we fled to the bathroom.  Where we sat on cold linoleum for about 15 minutes.  Staring at each other. 

I asked, "Do you think I can go to the bathroom while we're in here?"  Don't ask me why, but at 3am it seemed logical that sitting on the pot might lead to death.

It was shocking.  I don't mind ducking and covering when I am already awake, but I am a gal who values her beauty rest.  This ain't cool extremist people.  Go to sleep.  Let's deal with death when we're alert, huh?

This morning we learned there was a bomb in Baghdad that killed 5...apparently that was what the duck and cover was all about.  We were luckier in the embassy than the poor Iraqi's in the city center.   And this is a "lull" in the violence.  Seriously, not cool.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the twinge of humor is still in your voice throughout this crazy experience! Sending you both some Boise love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing pretty hard, it all seemed like a joke until you added that 5 died in Baghdad, then I heard this sorrowful voice saying, "oh, no" and realized it was mine and my mood was tinted a different color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do you have to be there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're here for a year....minus 1 week. :)

    ReplyDelete