Friday, October 28, 2011

The Simple Things

I am happy today.  No.  I feel JOY. 

When you live in Baghdad it really, truly boils down to the simple things folks.  Like no duck and covers ALL WEEK.   How 'bout them apples?  (I have to admit as soon as I write that I get jumpy that I'm setting us up for one..)

The last couple days have been filled with little pleasures that I would probably fail to appreciate if I was back in the States.  Listed in no particular order:

1.  The powers that be allowed local farmers to come in to the embassy compound on Saturday and hold a small farmers market.  I bought fresh fruit and vegetables.  And EGGS!  Oh, joy!

2.  Today with my vegetables (that included jalapenos- bless you Iraq -) I made a batch of fresh salsa.  It was the most heavenly thing I've tasted since I've been here.  Thank you Kristin's cooking blog for the delicious recipe: http://efnrecipes.blogspot.com/

3.  My mother sent us our first care package.  HOORAY!!  It included, M&Ms and they didn't melt!!  There is no chocolate here because for some reason it always melts in transit.  My chocolate chips that I sent through our shipment were one solid block of chocolate when they arrived.  Through my mother's brilliance our chocolate drought was saved.  In her words, "I just figured it would work, cause, they melt in your mouth - not in your hands."  Brilliant.  Other awesome items in care package- mascara, halloween decorations, the wedding magazine our wedding was published in, and all kinds of food stuffs for cooking.  Bless you Delsa.  Good show!

4.  I just noticed that everything is about food.  What can I say, I'm a simple girl with simple needs.

I never knew a jalapeno could make me weep with joy.  Or that m&ms were the hero of the chocolate world - but this Baghdad after all.  And life is good.

2 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman and glad you got those chocolates.. .life without chocolate just isnt' the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your wedding was featured in a magazine? I want to hear more about that!

    ReplyDelete