Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Better than US Weekly

Are you freaking kidding me? 

Every day I get a stream of press clippings in my inbox because I work in the Public Affairs section.  All the news related to Iraq and the region that the team finds gets consolidated and emailed.  Usually I skim it and if I find something interesting, I read the article. 

Today....today.  Oh, today I stopped in my skimming and laughed out loud.  And it's not funny, it really, really isn't.  But sometimes the shocking makes you laugh.

Examples of headlines I see every day are, "There will be forces in Iraq, but very limited number" and "Still no immunity offered for U.S. trainers."  In between two of those I see this gem:

Sadr: If my finger were American, I would have cut it off (al-Sumaria, October 10)


(I can only assume he's showing us exactly which one here)

I'm sorry, that is ridiculous.  Because seriously, IF his finger were American I highly doubt he would have it cut off.  I mean that would just be stupid and it would just be hurting himself.  How would he point so effectively? 

James suggested that he might just have his finger renounce it's citizenship - it seems much more logical than amputation.

Basically, there are numerous routes he could choose while still saving the American finger.  Why so hasty, friend?  I can tell you this, if I had a finger that was Iraqi, I would make peace with it, and use it for good.

If you're interested here is the full quote:
"In a response to one of his follower's question about some Iraqi officials calling to keep U.S. forces in Iraq, Sadr said, "I am not satisfied with the presence of the occupiers. I am not content with the presence of U.S. forces, military bases, instructors, security companies or the embassy."
Sadr added, "If my finger were American, I would have cut it off."
What a gem.  Now THAT'S news.

(Note:  I don't like how that bodes for us at the Embassy come January.)

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he's interested in cutting off his American finger because of its likeness to a sausage link (albeit, less delicious). He's clearly not using it for flossing assistance or beard trimming duties (which he really should've thought about before a shot like that).

    I love your posts... they're always a highlight of my day. Sending lots of love from your favorite CO girl...who loves all her American fingers. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is priceless. I'm laughing so hard I've started coughing.

    ReplyDelete