Monday, October 17, 2011

Ka.....BOOOOM!!!!

That is the sound that sent me flying off the living room couch at 11:35pm last night. 

James was sick, so I thought I'd let him get some rest and sleep on the couch.  I fell asleep around 10:45 or 11, when all of a sudden I heard something that sounded a lot like, well, a bomb.  Or what I imagined a bomb sounded like from my many years of movie-watching experience.

This is what I know:  It was loud and it exploded...and it sounded close.  Really close.

I flew off the couch and the explosion was soon followed by, "neeee noooowwww...duck and cover...stay away from the windows...." as I ran around the corner, James came flying out of our room looking like a mad scientist (hair on end, eyes bugged out looking left and right, arms waving).  I guess he panicked when he realized I wasn't in bed with him.  And something exploded.  That's an important point.

We both huddled in the bathroom on the floor, sick and dazed, and then finally crawled back to bed. 

Usually I fall right back to sleep after the alarm, this time not so much.  I'd heard the duck and covers, but I'd never heard actual rocket-fire.  It sucked.  Big time.  I spent a long time awake, thinking about rocket fire and how I'm pretty sure I don't like it and how I still had 11 months left here.  I imagined all the scenarios of us being shellacked by bombs and rockets with the military gone, and I didn't like the picture I was painting.

So I thought about Lindt chocolates pelting me instead and fell right to sleep.

This morning when I went to work I discovered where the rocket hit.  And I don't think I can say too much here, but I will tell you this--I can see where it landed from my window, and our apartment is right in the line of fire, oh, within throwing distance.  You should take in to account I have a remarkably good throwing arm, but still. 

In the building next door to us we can see where some of the shrapnel hit the windows. 

We're back to normal now, but it all just got real-er.  I hope this is as real as it gets.  Time to put in a request for a new apartment. 

1 comment:

  1. ...like in a bomb shelter? How about trying to live in one of those for the next 11 months, that would make me sleep a lot better. You know who else is curled up in the bathroom right now? Delsa - wondering why in the world you and James have to live there... WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds scary - no wait, terrifying, but at least you had Lindt chocolate, and a mad scientist. Love you girl. Please be safe. XOXO

    ReplyDelete