Saturday, April 7, 2012

Wisdom in the Garden of Hang

We loved Bali - and I took James to many of the places I had been when I went for my Surf Goddess trip.  There was one place I added to our itinerary after seeing it on my favorite new addiction -  pinterest:  The Hanging Gardens in Ubud.

One of my pinterest categories - probably my favorite - is called "Oh the Places I'll go."  Whenever I see an amazing photo or beautiful location, I add it.  When I saw the Hanging Gardens and discovered it was in Bali where we were headed it became a "must do" on our list.

It was perhaps even more beautiful than the pictures - and if I return to Bali again, I would love to stay in the hotel itself.  Gorgeous property, gorgeous rooms (w/ your own private hanging pool), gorgeous view of a temple across the way, and good food.



             Captain Safety doesn't like the idea of sitting on the edge so much...


Across the way from the hanging gardens was a beautiful temple.  We stopped there on our way home to see the view of the hanging gardens from the other side.

When we entered we met a man who was the keeper of the temple.  As we were leaving he wanted us to sign a book and asked if we would like to join a "spiritual."  I kind of thought he meant join a session of some sort and didn't think we had time, so I started to say no thanks.  He didn't really pay attention and just started giving us his insight - which I guess was his "spiritual."

It turned out to be very sweet.  He spoke to us about how life is a race and that there is a beginning, an end and a middle.  The middle is the sprint - and he said that God is in the sprint.  He said that we can't just hope and believe, that we must take action.  God helps us when we move our feet - he carries us through the sprinting, but he can't make us start running.

He made several insightful comments, and then he let me take his picture and we left.  It was a very sweet moment and I was grateful that he didn't allow me to brush aside his offer of a spiritual.  I am grateful for inspiration from all cultures and belief sets, and find it interesting how at their core, they are so closely connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment