Monday, January 30, 2012

Bite Size Baghdad

Who'd a thunk it would be a harder adjustment coming back from R&R than it was arriving in Baghdad?  Not this kid.

Jet lag was expected...and lasted for almost 3 weeks, as well as bouts w/ varied illnesses, but the emotional adjustment...wow.

Wow.

I think the normal let down after leaving family and friends and recognizing you still have 9 months ahead of you in this luxurious white collar, high security prison is a little disheartening, but when you combine it with all the upheaval in the country, it's been, well, emotionally tumultuous.

We continue to hear crazy bits and pieces of stories about folks who are clearly out to pin us for crimes and to do their best to get us out of here.  For example four of our security folks got held up in a car in Baghdad and put temporarily in prison.  They were just driving, but apparently the governor of Baghdad thought they had a suicide plot against him.  Not so much.  Well, maybe now.

Or the fact that they won't give any of our contractors visas - so they can't ever leave the country, or they won't be getting back in.  Yeah, that's causing some stress.

No food or mail for a bunch of weeks hasn't helped.  We got to the point a week ago where no food convoy had gotten through for so long, that half of the lines in the DFAC had shut down and there was no fresh produce.  Emergency rations were handed out to be stored in apartments.  You know, just in case.

Another example.  Our Peruvian guards who we wouldn't pay enough and were at the point of deserting us when they struck a deal at the 11th hour.  Glad to know we aren't losing the military and our paid guards.

Anywho, it's interesting to say the least.  But nevertheless and notwithstanding, I think we're back in stride.  Doing the work without wanting to hide in bed...dealing with shortages...hoping no one gets too angry and swarms the compound.  You know, the usual.

And with everything else starting to get back to normal, I thought hey, what ever happened to that blog?  It used to be pretty nice.  So here I am.  Opening a dialogue with you, my people.

Did I mention that we are finalizing plans for our next R&R in March?  I now understand that three 3-week-long R&R's aren't a nice to have - they are a must.  Bite size Baghdad.  We can do it!

4 comments:

  1. DO share your plans for March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid that it was going to be hard going back. So hard! I keep praying for you and James. David and I love you! Popcorn in abundance when you return!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Awesome story. Makes me wanna think twice about going back. Is it worth the risk? I could almost see myself in your position. In your level of stress. I know exactly how you feel. Tell me, will you be alright? I'm really concerned. Do you need anything from me? Can I ship you things that you need? Will you be able to get mail again? I really hope all things are doing much better for you down there. I have you in my prayers. Be safe Shauri. I worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This job is going to give you gray hair! I hope the next nine months goes by very quickly and safely.

    ReplyDelete