Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lessons Learned

I spent one week in my Iraq Familiarization class.  Here are the key learnings:

1.  Everything is an acronym in the Foreign Service, and there are double now in Iraq.  Many dealing with weapons of destruction.  There is one that seems to be missing - can we get some LOL up in here?  WTF.  (Why the face?)

2.  Great news - we'll only have one month of Sandstorm season when we arrive in Iraq.  It ends in October.  Bad news...it starts in April.  So you know, it's just like, half a year.  (Which is fine because you can see from the picture to the right that they're pretty harmless.  No big whoop.)

3.  They showed us the Embassy newsletter.  My favorite article had this headline, "New ATM...with cash!"

4.  When the warning sounds you should definitely run to a duck and cover.  And you should really duck--the entrance is only 5 feet high.  When you get inside:  Do not touch the walls or you will get hurt when the Rocket burrows in the ground by you, and do make yourself comfortable, ducking in the dark, not touching anything and talking to whoever you find inside.  Seems reasonable.


I think I'm ready to go.





2 comments:

  1. We get those sandstorms in AZ. Just stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and I just started watching Modern Family last week (season 1), so I enjoyed the WTF joke! That is such a great show, I'm really glad you and Lisa recommended it. Post pictures of your apt., where you eat, where you work out, etc. as soon as you can, so we can picture you in your new home. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete