Friday, July 29, 2011

The First Day of the Rest of my Life

Five or six years ago I decided it was time to fully accept and embrace my spinster status and live single life to it's fullest. If you can't make someone marry you, well by giddy up golly can choose to enjoy what you got.  Healthy sleep patterns, freedom to travel anywhere anytime, expendable income, and no compromising.   

Fast forward to two months ago and this spinster found herself....happily married.  Never would have predicted that crazy life twist.  And based on various family reactions I wasn't alone.  Well here I am.


And not just married, uprooting and changing every possible area of my life.


Let's sum up.  After forty years of single-ness, in a matter of five months I will find myself compromising with a HUSBAND, quitting my beloved job at Root Learning, moving away from family and home, taking a new and unknown job, and living in Iraq.  True, I'm not pregnant, so I haven't done EVERY life change in one fell swoop, but I hope this gives you some solid clues why I'm not.  And won't be for a while.  So, for the love, don't ask.


So here I am. New blog, new life, fresh start.  Welcome to the second half of my life.  I hope we like it.  


Everything is different, but one thing remains the same....like my brother Ryan, I still crave adventure.  (Yes, it's an inside family story that only 8-12 of you people will get.  Get over it.)  Let's go to Iraq. 

3 comments:

  1. I crave adventure too. But mostly food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks like you've got a great husband with whom to be adventurous, and he will have the time of his life being married to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Shauri, I just came upon your blog and WOW! You sure do know how to make life interesting. My mission president is actually the area authority there over the Middle East, Larry Kacher (if it ever comes up). What you decribed in your post reminded me of my mission...quitting a job, leaving family & friends to go live in a country with a new lifestyle and language, and having to compromise with a "companion". Perhaps yours prepared you for this adventure in life a little. I have no doubt that you will do great! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete